Listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places, Roxborough House was built in 1779 as a private residence for Dr. Caspar Wistar, a prominent physician who published the first American textbook of anatomy. Prior to its purchase by Philadelphia University in 1998, the Georgian-style residence had most recently been a bed-and-breakfast inn.
The three-story building was repurposed and restored into the Arlen Specter Center for Public Service, which features the permanent collection of his historic papers and educational programming and exhibits inspired by the late senator’s career. The facility holds exhibit space, offices, a conference room, artifact storage, a catering kitchen, and utility areas. An addition connecting the lower three floors provides vertical circulation and includes an elevator and public restrooms. BBA provided MEP engineering for the award-winning $5 million project.