Perry World House was envisioned as a catalyst for global activities and Penn’s “door to the world.” At its core is a private residence constructed in the mid-1850s that became a fraternity house a century later. The building occupies a prominent spot at 38th Street and Locust Walk, the heart of Penn’s campus as well as a dense urban location. [Read more…]
The Arlen Specter Center for Public Service at Philadelphia University was among three projects BBA worked on that won an award from the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia. For information about the project from the owner’s perspective, click here.
Before it was renovated and rechristened the Arlen Specter Center, the structure was known as Roxboro House. Listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places, the former private residence had various owners since 1802, including Dr. Caspar Wistar, a prominent physician who published the first American textbook of anatomy. Prior to its purchase by the Philadelphia University in 1998, the Georgian-style dwelling had most recently been a bed and breakfast inn.
Penn’s Perry World House is envisioned as a catalyst for global activities and a “door to the world.” At World House’s physical core is a private residence constructed in the mid-1850s that became a fraternity house a century later. Designed by 1100 Architect leading a team that includes BBA as MEP engineer, the $17.8 million renovation and addition is now in construction at 3803 Locust Walk on Penn’s campus. When the doors open in spring 2016, the historic structure will have undergone a transformation that advances and supports Perry World House’s international mission. For the official web page, click here. For the FRES page, click here.
Capitalizing on success with 2.0 University Place, University Place Associates is embarking upon its next-version namesake. Led by The Sheward Partnership, design is underway on the proposed five-story, 180,000 square foot office building which is LEED Platinum pre-certified. 3.0 University Place at 4101 Market Street will incorporate four office floors, covered parking for 106 cars and inviting ground-floor commercial space. A green roof, LED lighting, a high-performance building envelope and chilled beam heating and cooling system are among the features that environmentally-minded tenants will find attractive. For more about this exciting addition to the University City skyline and inventory of Class A office space, click here.
Rendering courtesy of University Place Associates and The Sheward Partnership
The only U.S. president to be born in New York City, Teddy Roosevelt lived at 28 E. 20th Street in the city’s Gramercy/Flatiron neighborhood from the time of his birth in 1858 until he was 14 years old. The original house was demolished and after Roosevelt’s death in 1919, the site was purchased by the Women’s Roosevelt Memorial Association, rebuilt and decorated with many of its original furnishings by Roosevelt’s sisters and wife. The building, a 1923 commemorative reconstruction of his original birthplace, is on the National Register of Historic Places. It will close May 1 to the public for nine months in order to complete renovations that will improve accessibility, life safety, and mechanical and electrical systems. The project is being administered by the National Park Service, with John Milner Architects of Chadds Ford, Pa., leading the design team. For more information about this remarkable man and his early years in NYC, visit the NPS page here.