The restoration of Dey Mansion in Wayne, New Jersey has been recognized by the State of New Jersey with a 2016 New Jersey Historic Preservation Award. Constructed between 1740-50 by Dirk Dey as a private residence, it is an amalgam of Dutch and English influences, a rich and dramatic composition of country and urban elements that had few mid-18th century counterparts west of the Hudson River.
Dey Mansion earned a place in history for having served as General George Washington’s headquarters for three months in 1780. In the present day, it is considered to be “the jewel of Passaic County’s Parks Department” and accommodates meetings of several Revolutionary War organizations. John Milner Architects, Inc. of Chadds Ford, Pa. will accept the award on behalf of the project team at the Historic Preservation Month Ceremony on May 12 at the Morristown Historical Park Museum. BBA’s role in the project was to provide MEP system upgrades for the mansion while respecting its 18th century roots.