The interpretive center at the historic (c. 1822) Fairmount Water Works (FWWIC) has flourished since opening in 2003. It is one of the region’s premier ecotourism centers recognized by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection as the Delaware River basin’s official watershed education center and as a gateway for the Schuylkill River national and state heritage area.
In order to better support the educational mission of the Philadelphia Water Department and its partners, the FWWIC has undertaken a strategic planning initiative focused on expanding its current operations into 12,000 square feet of available space in the existing complex at the Old Mill and New Mill Houses.
A sustainability and programming workshop addressed LEED certification and analyzed physical requirements and technical components necessary for a virtual technology center. The program features large group meeting space for partner organizations, expanded exhibit and education areas, and creative integration of MEP systems in the existing building with the designated expansion sites. BBA is participating in engineering design for the expansion.