An independent, non-profit organization, Chemical Heritage Foundation exists to foster an understanding of chemistry’s impact on society. Its Old City headquarters houses major collections of instruments, fine art, photographs, papers, research apparatus, and other material related to the chemical sciences. In 2002, a contemporary addition to the historic building was completed, adding exhibit, conference and office space. BBA provided MEP engineering for that project.
Eleven years later, the John C. Haas Archive of Science and Business was completed. The brownstone façade of a historic (c. 1865) building adjacent to CHF’s headquarters was restored and the building interior was transformed into an archival storage facility. The archive’s electronically controlled, movable shelves are 3.5 stories tall. When filled to capacity, the building will hold 8,500 linear feet, or 1.5 miles, of material. The expansion provides space to house collections that CHF otherwise could not acquire and to preserve historically significant materials.
BBA designed the HVAC system to maintain strict environmental controls to support the preservation of rare documents and artifacts. The project was honored for its commitment to preservation.