The only U.S. president to be born in New York City, Teddy Roosevelt lived at 28 E. 20th Street in the city’s Gramercy/Flatiron neighborhood from the time of his birth in 1858 until he was 14 years old. The original house was demolished and after Roosevelt’s death in 1919, the site was purchased by the Women’s Roosevelt Memorial Association, rebuilt and decorated with many of its original furnishings by Roosevelt’s sisters and wife. The building, a 1923 commemorative reconstruction of his original birthplace, is on the National Register of Historic Places. It will close May 1 to the public for nine months in order to complete renovations that will improve accessibility, life safety, and mechanical and electrical systems. The project is being administered by the National Park Service, with John Milner Architects of Chadds Ford, Pa., leading the design team. For more information about this remarkable man and his early years in NYC, visit the NPS page here.