Listed as a National Historic Landmark District, the 3,000-acre site was settled in 1805 by members of The United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing, commonly known as the Shakers. More than 48 historic buildings, structures and ancillary facilities are preserved and maintained for educational, cultural and recreational use.
The project team, including BBA, worked with representatives from the non-profit organization, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, to develop a preservation plan that would guide the long-term care and maintenance of the historic buildings and site structures. Client interviews and a week-long conditions assessment survey formed the backbone of the plan. The comprehensive final report contains architectural, structural, and MEP systems data, as well as annotated drawings and photographs for each of the buildings and structures. The report and its specific recommendations for improvements and prioritization schedule will inform the client’s future decision-making.