Swift Hall at Vassar College dates to 1902, when it was built as the college infirmary. In 1941, the building was converted for use as offices and classrooms for the history department. Little changed in the intervening years, and the impact of HVAC and electrical systems past their prime was felt in functionality, temperature and energy costs.
The $4.1 million historically sensitive rehabilitation project addressed energy and spatial considerations, ADA requirements and maintaining the historic character of the beloved building while improving it. BBA performed energy modeling and a detailed life-cycle cost analysis to inform architectural and engineering decisions. Engineering design addressed life safety requirements while improving energy efficiency and user comfort.
Swift Hall’s new interior includes two classrooms, offices for all history professors, student and faculty lounges, kitchen, and bench seating throughout.