Congregation Rodeph Shalom dates its founding to 1795. In 1928, their previous building at Broad and Mt. Vernon Streets was replaced by the current edifice, which was designed to combine a sanctuary and religious school under one roof. In the intervening years, portions of the building have undergone repair, most notably historic preservation of the sanctuary in 2006. More recently, a congregation-wide visioning effort revealed that more space was needed to accommodate new and current programs.
The $18 million scope of work encompassed the Berkman Learning Center and the Thalheimer Family Lobby. The centerpiece is a four-story addition that created a new entrance lobby, gallery, offices, multi-purpose room, and drop-off driveway. BBA provided MEP engineering design, sustainability consulting and energy modeling services for the synagogue addition project.