Temple Adath Israel consists of a complex of multiple adjoining buildings, built over time. Initial construction occurred in the 1950s including a sanctuary addition designed by Pietro Belluschi and Charles Wise in 1959. Programmatically, the facility encompasses worship, education and administrative space.
Although physical facility failures were addressed as they appeared, in 2014 the synagogue initiated a multi-phased renovation project to create a more welcoming environment for modern worshipers and upgrade building systems for energy efficiency, functionality and code compliance.
BBA designed a sprinkler system for the sanctuary that respected the clean lines of the modernist architecture, integrating the required sprinkler piping seamlessly into the design. Introduction of a prominent new 15-foot diameter chandelier in the sanctuary drove associated electrical improvements. Other services included HVAC upgrades to Adath Israel’s auditorium and kitchen, totaling 4,500 square feet.